ICOMOS South Africa has invited representatives from 17 African countries to be part of a master level pilot course in human rights and cultural heritage. The training, lead by the Norwegian Centre for Human Rights University of Oslo, will be at Ditsong Museum, Pretoria from 13 to 17 March 2017.
Broadly, the course will cover:
1. General introduction to the international human rights system, including its institutions and mechanisms;
2. Specific introduction to relevant cultural rights and texts, as well as the UN and UNESCO institutional framework; and
3. Human rights-based approach planning tools for heritage management.
Partners for the pilot training are ICOMOS South Africa, ICOMOS Norway, the African World Heritage Fund, the South African National Heritage Council, Norwegian Centre for Human Rights and Ditsong Museum, Pretoria. For further information, you may contact ctht(at)heritage.org.za
Our Common Dignity: Towards Rights-Based World Heritage Management was started in 2007 by ICOMOS Norway. From a national focus the initiative was expanded into international collaboration between ICCROM, ICOMOS and IUCN (AB) in 2011 – in close contact and dialogue also with the World Heritage Centre.
The training is a result of the collaboration between the “heritage world” and the “human rights world”. The first Pilot Training Course in the complex topic of Human Rights and Heritage Management was in Oslo in 2016, and is being followed by training in India and South Africa.
Sist oppdatert: 15/03/2017
First amongst the texts and references you will find the most recent document:
• The IUCN, ICCROM and ICOMOS shared Statement on the topic, adopted as Introduction for the presentation prepared on this topic for the WH Committee Meeting 2014 in Doha, Qatar. The complete document (12+4 p) is listed under 2014.
This is followed by a somewhat longer paper in English and French introducing the topic:
• «A Short Introduction: Our Common Dignity: Rights-Based Approaches (RBA) in Heritage Management – an ICOMOS perspective» and
• »Une courte introduction: Notre dignité commune: Une approche fondée sur les droits humains dans la gestion du(es) patrimoine(s)»
After these, and chronologically listed follow texts and documents that describe the current status of work on this topic and its recent history onwards from the initiative by ICOMOS Norway in 2008.
This website is under development, and we endeavour to provide a more complete picture of activity and literature relevant to the history and development of this complex over the coming months. The website is meant to supplement and be coordinated with the material already posted on the ICOMOS International Website (http://icomos.org/en/what-we-do/focus/human-rights-and-world-heritage) – and may possibly at some point be merged with this.
Apart from the paper introducing the topic of rights-based approaches related to World Heritage, all the documents are unfortunately at present in English only.
ICOMOS Focal Point for Rights-Based Approaches in Heritage Management
Click here to email
- IUCN, ICCROM and ICOMOS shared Statement: «WORLD HERITAGE AND RIGHTS-BASED APPROACHES: Learning from practice: Building capacity to support rights-based approaches in the World Heritage Convention»
- A Short Introduction: «Our Common Dignity: Rights-Based Approaches (RBA) in Heritage Management – an ICOMOS perspective»
- Une courte introduction: »Notre dignité commune: Une approche fondée sur les droits humains dans la gestion du(es) patrimoine(s)»
History of initiatives and activity
- 2008 Feb – «World Heritage and Human Rights: Conflicts or Cooperation?»: National Seminar, the Government Complex, Oslo, Norway
- 2011 March – ICOMOS Norway International Workshop Oslo 9-11 March 2011 «Our Common Dignity: Towards Rights-Based World Heritage Management» with IUCN, ICCROM and ICOMOS representatives. Workshop documents included here:
- 2011 June – Advisory Bodies invited to present the topic at public meetings at the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR, Geneva; notes not posted)
- 2011 Nov – Advisory Bodies with UNESCO: meeting in Paris (notes to be posted)
- 2011 Dec – ICOMOS Resolution 17GA 2011/30 ‐ «Our Common Dignity: Rights‐based Approaches to Heritage Management«
- «ICOMOS Stockholm Declaration» (1998) marking the 50th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- 2012 Feb – Advisory Bodies with UNESCO: meeting in Paris (notes to be posted)
- 2012 March – Profile on «Our Common Dignity: Rights‐based Approaches to Heritage Management» in UNESCO World Heritage Review (by Amund Sinding-Larsen)
- 2012 March – ICOMOS Executive Committee establishes topic Working Group, coordinator Kristal Buckley, ICOMOS VP
- 2012 May – «World Heritage and Human Rights» Special Issue of IJHS (International Journal of Heritage Studies) Volume 18, Number 3, May 2012
- 2012 May – Presentation at International Conference «Living with World Heritage», Røros WH Town, Norway
- 2012 June – Discussion Paper: «Advisory Body evaluations of World Heritage nominations in relation to community and rights concerns» (Independent assessment by Peter Bille Larsen. Prepared with funding from IUCN, ICOMOS Norway and the Ministry of the Environment, Norway.
- 2012 June – «IUCN, World Heritage and Evaluation Processes Related to Communities and Rights – An independent review» (by Peter Bille Larsen, prepared for the IUCN World Heritage Programme)
- 2012 August – Profile on «Our Common Dignity: Rights‐based Approaches to Heritage Management» in ICOMOS Information (by Amund Sinding-Larsen)
- 2013 March – ICOMOS Executive Committee appoints Amund Sinding-Larsen as Focal Point for Rights-Based Approaches in Heritage Management
- 2014 Jan-April – AB (ICOMOS-IUCN-ICCROM) Project with Workshop in Oslo, initiated and coordinated by ICOMOS Norway; Project and Workshop documents included here (please also refer to «Doha-Brochure»):
- 2014 June – AB RBA-WH Presentation brochure «World Heritage and Rights-Based Approaches» for the UNESCO World Heritage Committee Meeting 2014 in Doha, Qatar
- 2014 June – AB RBA-WH Flyer for Side-Event during UNESCO World Heritage Committee Meeting 2014 in Doha, Qatar
- 2014 – ICOMOS ISC Proposal on RBA-WH (documents under development, to be posted)
- 2014 Nov – ICOMOS 18th General Assembly in Florence, Italy (documents under development, to be posted)
- Various Topic Progress Reports to ICOMOS Executive Committee meetings 2012-2014 (to be posted)
Sist oppdatert: 15/03/2017